Friday, January 13, 2017
Makes 1 Pie
Frozen deep-dish pie shell
1 1/4 cups sugar, divided
6 tablespoons cornstarch
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 1/4 cups water
2 tablespoons butter
2 teaspoons grated lemon peel
4 to 5 drops yellow food coloring, optional
1/2 cup lemon juice
Cream Cheese Filling:
2 packages (one 8 oz., one 3 oz.) cream cheese, softened
3/4 cup confectioners' sugar
1 1/2 cups whipped topping
1 tablespoon lemon juice
For pastry shell: Line unpricked pie shell with a double thickness of heavy-duty foil. Bake at 450 degrees for 8 minutes. Remove foil; bake 5 minutes longer. Cool on a wire rack.
For lemon filling, combine 3/4 cup sugar, cornstarch and salt. Stir in water until smooth. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat. Reduce heat; add the remaining sugar. Cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened and bubbly. Remove from the heat; stir in butter, lemon peel and food coloring if desired. Gently stir in lemon juice. Cool to room temperature, about 1 hour.
For cream cheese filling, beat the cream cheese and sugar in a large bowl until smooth. Fold in whipped topping and lemon juice. Refrigerate 1/2 cup for garnish. Spread remaining cream cheese mixture into pie shell; top with lemon filling. Refrigerate overnight. Place reserved cream cheese mixture in a pastry bag with a #21 star tip; pipe stars onto pie. Store in the refrigerator.
Wednesday, January 4, 2017
Cook Time: 3 hours
About 6 servings
- 1/3 cup butter, sliced
- 1 1/2 cups chopped yellow onion
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 6 Tbsp all-purpose flour
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 2 (12 oz) cans evaporated milk
- 5 cups low-sodium chicken broth
- 5 cups small diced broccoli florets*
- 1/8 tsp dried thyme
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 12 oz sharp cheddar cheese, freshly shredded (or more to taste)
- 2 oz parmesan cheese, freshly & finely shredded
- Melt butter in a large skillet over medium heat. Add onions and saute until they begin to soften, about 3 - 4 minutes. Add garlic, flour and season lightly with salt and pepper then cook, stirring constantly, 2 minutes. While whisking, slowly pour in evaporated milk (whisk well to smooth). Cook mixture, stirring constantly until it begins to thicken then pour into a slow cooker along with chicken broth, diced broccoli and thyme. Cover with lid and cook on HIGH heat for 2 1/2 - 3 hours or low heat for 6 hours.
- Turn heat to warm (or off) and stir in heavy cream, then add in shredded cheddar cheese and parmesan cheese and stir to blend. Season with salt and pepper to taste and serve warm.
- *From about 20 oz broccoli crowns, large stems cut off and discarded (or reserved for another use), florets diced into small pieces.
1 medium head cabbage , washed and sliced into strips 1 medium carrot , washed and sliced into thin pieces 2 teaspoons o...
GENERAL TSO CHICKEN
FOR A SUGAR FREE VERSION- REPLACE SUGAR WITH EQUAL AMOUNTS OF EQUAL *************YOU CAN ALSO MAKE THIS CAKE USING 2 BOXES OF ...
Ingredients For the Butter Rolls 2 Cups Self Rising Flour ½ Cup Shortening 1 Cup Milk 1 stick (1/2 Cup) Butter, softened (course ...
PINTO BEANS: AND HOT WATER CORNBREAD 4 cups Dry Pinto Beans 4 slices Thick Bacon (can Also Use Salt Pork, Or Ham Hock, Or Diced Ham) ...