Sunday, February 28, 2021

Collard Greens story





 Collard greens are an excellent source of vitamin A, vitamin C, and calcium, a rich source of vitamin K, and a good source of iron, vitamin B-6, and magnesium. They also contain thiamin, niacin, pantothenic acid, and choline.


When my Aunt would cook collard greens she would always say Girl don’t you be going around getting rid of that stem. 

As a teenager I was 16 years old and I would drive my mom to the south side of Chicago every Sunday and we would have dinner with my grandma who moved here from Preston Mississippi. Her sister may she Rest In Peace would make the collard greens. My mom always made mustard and turnip greens.

As I started cooking I realized collard greens were a tougher green. But honey when you cook collard greens the right way they are delicious. They are the only greens I make now.  As you add them to the pot you bring them to a boil and then you leave them to simmer for three hours maybe four depending on how tender you want them.

On Sunday I make a Sunday dinner and my kids and my hubby and I have dinner together.

But not just on Sunday, it’s important to start this tradition with your family so they can start it with their family.

This way we would talk about what’s going on in their life and what’s going on in school.

We can bond and keep that connection.

They see me as a mother but also someone they can come and talk to and let me tell you the older they get the conversations change.

My kids are 35 28 and 19

So if you have kids take some time and really get to enjoy them.

No comments:

Post a Comment