1 (3-ounce) package cream cheese, at room temperature
1/2 teaspoon soy sauce
3 tablespoons finely chopped scallion
1/4 teaspoon black pepper
1/4 teaspoon lemon juice
4 ounces well drained lump crab meat
Salt, to taste
36 wonton skins
Canola oil, for deep frying
Sriracha sauce, for dipping
1. To make the filling, in a bowl, mix the cream cheese . . Add the soy sauce, scallion, pepper, lemon juice, and crab meat. Use a fork to mix well. Taste and add salt, as needed. Cover with plastic wrap and set aside for 30 minutes before using, or refrigerate up to a day in advance.
2. Fill each wonton skin with about 1 teaspoon of the filling. Center the filling, brush two adjoining sides with water, then fold to create a triangle, . As you work, put the finished wontons on a Paper towel.
When done, loosely cover with a dishtowel to prevent drying. The wontons can also be covered with plastic wrap and refrigerated for several hours; let them sit at room temperature to remove the chill before frying.
3. Put a wire rack on a baking sheet and place next to the stove. Pour oil to a depth of 1 1/2 inches into a wok, deep skillet, or 5-quart Dutch oven and heat over medium-high heat to about 325F on a deep-fry thermometer.
4. Working in batches of 4 to 6, slide the wontons into the hot oil and fry for 1 to 2 minutes on each side, or until golden brown. Use a skimmer to transfer to the rack to drain.
5. Arrange the wontons on a platter and serve hot or warm as finger food along with the sauce for dipping. -