FOR THE CHIPOTLE SAUCE
1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 1/4 cup sour cream
- 2 chipotle chiles from 1 can of chipotles in adobo
- 2 tablespoon freshly squeezed lime juice
Place mayonnaise, sour cream, lime juice, and chipotles in a blender.
Puree until smooth and chipotles are completely chopped. Pour into an airtight container, cover, and store in the refrigerator until ready to use.
INGREDIENTS FOR THE SUB
- ½ loaf of Italian or French bread at least 3 inches wide and a foot long
- ¼ pound sliced salami
- ¼ pound sliced Italian pepperoni
- ¼ pound sliced sweet or hot capicola
- ¼ pound thinly sliced prosciutto
- ¼ pound aged good quality provolone cheese, sliced
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 2 Roma tomatoes, sliced
- ½ cup fresh basil leaves, divided
- ¼ cup shredded Parmesan cheese
- 1 cup shredded mozzarella
- ¼ pound sliced provolone cheese
- 1 teaspoon dry oregano
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
To Prepare the mayo and chill
To Prepare the Sandwich
- split the loaf in half so you have two open halves.
- Spread two tablespoons of the MAYO on each inside cut.
- Then begin layering the cold cuts on the bottom half and finish with the provolone. Top with half of the basil leaves and place the top half of the bread over the basil pressing the MAYO side down over the basil.
- Heat the pan on the stove. Brush one tablespoon of olive oil on the top half of the sandwich and brush the other tablespoon of olive oil on the pan press down. Place sandwich on heat over brushed oil and brown both sides, pressing down slightly to flatten sandwich. Heat until the bread is nicely browned.
- Line a small sheet pan with foil and place the grilled sandwich onto the foil.
- Lay the other half of the basil leaves and all of the sliced tomatoes over the top of the browned top of the sandwich.
- Mix the Parmesan, mozzarella, provolone and oregano in a small bowl and spread over the basil and tomatoes
- Place the pan in the hot oven for 5-7 minutes to melt and brown cheese. Serve by cutting into four even pieces. .