- 2 cups of chopped tomatoes
- 1 tablespoon of finely chopped onion
- 1 tablespoon of finely chopped green bell pepper
- 1 cup of chicken broth
- 1/2 cup of butter or margarine
- 1/2 cup of all purpose flour
- 1 to 2 cups of milk
- salt and pepper to taste
- use on meatloaf
Peel, seed and dice the tomatoes, reserving the juices. In a small pot, bring the chicken broth to a boil; add the tomatoes and juices, onion and green pepper, and let simmer while you prepare the roux.
In a separate skillet, heat the butter over medium heat; stir in the flour. Cook and stir over medium, stirring constantly, until it reaches a light beige color. Quickly stir in the broth and tomato mixture, adding slowly, but continue until fully incorporated. Stir in the milk and season with salt and pepper, and simmer for 5 to 10 minutes or until nicely thickened.